|Project by dakotawood||posted 04-24-2012 03:22 AM||2270 views||4 times favorited||7 comments|
My wife wanted more organization for things near our back door. She wanted something to keep track of some of our girls’ papers from school. I thought about a bulletin board – but I don’t like having holes in all the papers. So I made a magnet board instead. I made it big enough so it can fit 4 full sheets of paper on it – for our 4 kids. I plan on making some custom magnets in the future using some strong rare earth magnets.
I framed up a thin piece of sheet metal that I wrapped in fabric – used pocket holes for the frame. I added a little shelf with a cubby hole for in-coming/out-going mail and also some key hooks down below. I thought this would be a great time to try my hand at an inlay. I followed Marc Spagnuolo’s technique that he gives in one of his video’s. It went very well. I took my time (about 3 hrs for the H), did my best, and the results I think are decent for my first shot.
I used flame birch with walnut for the inlay. Finished with 2 coats BLO, then 3 coats satin Arm R Seal. The flame birch I had purchased at Bell Forest and had it shipped. I wanted to try buying lumber online. They had a special for the flame birch – so I bought a little project pack. I was pleased with the purchase. Great lumber, well packaged and good shipping times.
Thanks for looking!
-- Travis, South Dakota