|Project by dlcarver||posted 03-30-2008 03:27 AM||1328 views||0 times favorited||12 comments|
Sometime ago….(a week or so), I made a comment to Dennis the Teenagewoodworker that it was pretty hard to get those miters for picture frames right on the money sometimes. Well, here is a situation that, after all the hard work I didn’t want to just throw away what I had made so far after so many hours work. I had made my own molding, (no extra) inleted the back to receive glass and,matting,and backing…. the whole works. Much planning and painstaking precision went into it. I made this frame about 24 years ago, when I was still learning. HA, HA !!!! ................ Well, in this project, I wasn’t happy with a couple of the corners, (being a perfect 45 degrees). So in order to camouflage my careless mistake, I carved an oakleaf for each corner, to cover the crack some what. If you look carefully on the corner shot , you can see some of the matting showing through the crack. I’ll bet you didn’t know that ‘till now. You see, you were so interested in the oak leaf, that you didn’t see the crack. That’s a little lesson… ” Not to give up ‘till all is absolutely lost”. Just make sure you don’t make the second MISTAKE.
NOTE: I also painted the picture, cut the matting, and made the molding and the frame, and framed the painting with acid free backing. The picture was an entry for the Pennsylvania Duck Stamp. Needless to say it didn’t win, nor even placed. It is painted with acrylics and gouache. Having done everything to this project I probably have 90 or more hours into it.
-- Dave Leitem,Butler,Pa.,http://dlcarver.etsy.com