|Project by William||posted 04-18-2012 11:17 PM||59344 views||50 times favorited||55 comments|
I have wanted to build a shop made scroll saw for a long time. I haven’t done so because with health problems, I didn’t know if I could handle the type that you pedal or work a treadle. Then I ran across this design in an August 1986 copy of WOOD Magazine. As soon as I see the photo of it on the cover, I knew I had to build it. At first, I was just going to use the jig saw as a motor idea and design my own saw around it. I read the article though and loved the design as much as I did the motor idea. So I built it pretty close to that design, only making minor changes.
The saw is made completely out of pecan. It is finished with two coats of Minwax polyurethane. Then the table also got two coats of Johnson’s Paste Wax on top of that. The throat is twenty five inches deep. The table is eighteen inches wide.
All the corner joints are an open mortise design which are then pinned with three quarter inch dowels after the glue dried on the mortice attachments. This created amazingly strong joints. Other joints are of a design that I don’t know if there is a name for, but all interlock to make the frame plenty sturdy enough. Also, with using pecan wood (the magazine article called for oak) the saw also has more weight than I thought it would have.
All the hardware used is commonly available at good hardware stores. It has bolts, nuts, washers, some bronze bushings. There is also a description on the article to make your own blade holders, but I used a Craftsman set that I had lying around the shop. For the power, I used an old Black & Decker jig saw I had. The blade clamp was broken on it and was pretty much useless for anything else, but I was able to adapt it to work on this scroll saw.
I wrote a three part blog series on the build of this saw if you’d like to go read more about it in my blog section. Here is Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. There was some questioning as to if it would work, so in my blast blog entry, I promised that when I posted it as a project, I would provide proof that it does in fact work. So….................
<iframe src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/UqLBnxBFIRs” frameborder=”0” height=”720” width=”960”></iframe>
I hope you all can excuse the poor quality of the video. This is the first video I’ve ever posted online.
My video camera doesn’t do well being moved and I didn’t think about just holding it up at the time, so here is a photo of the test pieces I was cutting in the video.