|Project by Shawn K.||posted 04-17-2012 03:32 AM||3566 views||0 times favorited||14 comments|
It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. I’ve been working to organize my shop, finishing walls and getting ready for a summer of wood working. When I saw this, I thought it might be the answer to an unspoken prayer.
This was from ShopNotes 122. It was supposed to have doors in front of the shelves, and some moulding along the top.
As suggested in the magazine, it was made from No. 2 common pine from the big box store. I spent 45 minutes going through the wood to find the stuff that was straight. It sure didn’t stay that way for long. The plans suggested that most of this case be glued together with a few screws used where they are hidden. I finally decided that screws were necessary, as I didn’t think glue would hold.
Cupping twisting and cracking was the only thing this wood seemed to be good for, but after some patience, cursing, and judicious application of a mallet, it came together. I knew there’d be no chance that the shelf areas would be square enough for doors, so they’re open shelves now.
The whole mess was sanded, and finished with BLO. It’s hung on the wall with french cleats, and long screws to back up the cleat. Hopefully it’s not going anywhere, especially when the tools and everything else is loaded up.
I’m excited to utilize the pegboard that’s been in my shop for a couple of years, taking up a lot of valuable space. THe openings in the bottom have always been intended to hold plastic screw bins, and the ones I had fit beautifully.
Thanks for looking.
-- -- Never entrust power to those who desire it.