|Project by Kevin||posted 04-16-2012 03:54 PM||5848 views||42 times favorited||17 comments|
I built this after seeing one that a fellow LJ (RMP) built. It works even better than I thought it would. The cap and the lower baffle are cut from 3/4 inch ply. I cut the circles out on a circle cutting jig that I threw together for my table saw. I have 4 inches inbetween the cap and lower baffle. 2/3 of the lower baffle is cut away 1 1/4 inches. I routed a rabbit on the bottom of the cap and installed foam weather strip to help with the seal. My fittings are held in place and sealed with silicone caulking. Finally I added a handle that I cut from a scrap piece of cherry, to make lifting it out of the bucket easier. The plywood was scrap I had laying around, the middle plastic coupler was laying around at the house as well as the weather stripping. The only things I had to buy was a plastic bucket for less than $2.00, and the elbow. The only elbow I could find that would work for the hose to fit into tightly was this rubber elbow that was $10.00. But being rubber made it easy to cut a smaller hole and get a good tight fit around the fitting. I’ve been needing one for a while and since I cant afford dust collection or even a manufactured dust seperator right now this was perfect. My inlet from the shop vac is 1 1/4 in and the hose that goes to the tool is 2 1/2 inch just cause that was what I had. The last picture shows some saw dust I swept up in the seperator after just a few seconds.
-- Measure twice, cut once, then rout a whole bunch