|Project by ratchet||posted 827 days ago||1707 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
A couple of Candle Boxes. These are fairly very easy to make. The plans are from Wood magazine (listed as a Wine Box). The sliding lids are nice, but tended to slide at the wrong time so I turned a couple of brass screws on the drill press with a file (to act as a slide stop)
1st box is Tiger/figured maple with Walnut ends. Tiger maple and bloodwood handle. Walnut sliding lid.
2nd box is Mahogany sides and walnut ends. Bloodwood and maple handle. Sliding lid is walnut with maple and monkeypod center stripe. I mistakedly cut the sliding top too narrow so added the center stripe “feature” to get the width right.
My niece likes things red, so we are giving her the red/mahogany one. I’ve started making at least 2 of most smaller projects. Its alot less work than making 2 seperate projects and you get to keep one and give/donate one.
I think if I make any more of these boxes a raised panel for the top is in order, and maybe some kind of wooden latch mechanism.
Finish: Transtint dye, shellac, wipe on poly. Note: the unfinished tiger maple had that aweful blueing in it over about 60% of the wood. Added some green to the yellow/brown dye solution and the blue practically disappeared without adversely affecting the figure.