|Project by jaykaypur||posted 04-16-2012 01:33 AM||2144 views||8 times favorited||25 comments|
This is something I have been working on for several months. The base is an old piece of hemlock that had been in a mountain fire decade’s ago. If you look closely, you can see some of the charring on one end of the base. There are 3 inlay points on the top. Two are pretty small and are done with red sand and then around the leg that comes through the top, I used a mix of red/blue sand. Considering it’s my second attempt at inlays, I’m satisfied with them.
There is a lot of time in this piece and most of that was basically that I wasn’t sure exactly what to use as a top for the base. The walnut turned out to be just right for it and it, too, went through a few transformations before I got it just right.
The “footprint” of this piece measures 5’ long, 18’’ high, and 24’’ wide. The top has 3 coats of danish oil and 1 of pour-on-poly. It was sanded between each application and then buffed and buffed and buffed! The base has been pressure washed, sanded, brass-wire brushed, sanded some more and then air blown. I then saturated it with danish oil.
I agonized over this thing for months but the wait was worth it. I’m really pleased with it. Thanks for the looks/comments.
-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!