|Project by Michael||posted 04-13-2012 06:52 PM||1491 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
The intent of the project over its long development process was to have it ready for my parent’s 40th wedding anniversary (March 25, 2012). I started this project in the summer of 06’ when I was working at the WVU Division of Forestry. My term of employment ran out and I was forced to box up the parts that I had assembled and just stored them in my parent’s garage attic until this past month. When I brought the parts that I had cut out in 06 over to VA to start assembling I noticed something about this stack of hard maple; it had all mostly warped. A lot of the parts had to be thrown out but I was able to save the back (stay tuned) the top and bottom, and the middle piece. Since I was out of hard maple at the time I chose to use black walnut for the doors and sides. I used sliding dovetails for the doors mainly because I am much better at cutting them than I am mortise and tennons (strange I know). I had the thing pretty much done and had it standing upright on my little bench when a strong wind off the Potomac blew the clock over and when it struck the concrete floor it shattered the top hanging portion, I made a redeye then. After much thought I decided to piece a new top portion in but this one was made of sycamore. I opted to use glass for the lower door mainly because I couldn’t think of any reason to cover up the pendulum. The hanging block has a handcut nail as a peg. I made both knobs as well. Finished off with two coats of tung oil and two coats of wipe on poly.
Parents were both surprised and pleased. This project tested my patience more than any other has thus far…. Murphy’s law was proven over and over again, I left a lot of details out.
-- "A woodworking project is either a masterpiece or a POS" Dr. Lang