LumberJocks

Stanley Transitional needs a cherry body.

  • Advertise with us
Project by Don W posted 04-09-2012 08:10 PM 2695 views 4 times favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch

A Stanley #27 with a new Cherry body. Knob and tote are original. All other parts are original.

Sharpened with a slight camber for a jack.

Before pictures and additional pictures on my blog.

-- http://timetestedtools.net - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.





27 comments so far

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

14241 posts in 2283 days


#1 posted 04-09-2012 08:20 PM

Oh, wow! That cherry does look great. Very nice work, and again with the Magic Poplar! You ‘Da Man! :-)

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

View Mauricio's profile

Mauricio

7127 posts in 2817 days


#2 posted 04-09-2012 08:20 PM

That thing looks freaking amazing, great work Don!

-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

7795 posts in 2242 days


#3 posted 04-09-2012 08:31 PM

Excellent work Don. I bet that transitional works well.

View Don W's profile

Don W

18320 posts in 2233 days


#4 posted 04-09-2012 08:35 PM

and note I finally remembered to pick up some new brass wood screws

-- http://timetestedtools.net - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View Brit's profile

Brit

7068 posts in 2508 days


#5 posted 04-09-2012 08:49 PM

Fantastic work Don. I really like this one. I think its those shiny brass screws that do it for me. :-) Seriously though, that’s an amazing transformation when you look at the before shot on you blog. Did you put any kind of finish on the Cherry? It looks natural.

-- Andy -- "The hand speaks to the brain as surely as the brain speaks to the hand." Frank R. Wilson

View Don W's profile

Don W

18320 posts in 2233 days


#6 posted 04-09-2012 08:53 PM

I used Brush Oil, something new I picked up to try.

-- http://timetestedtools.net - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View SamuelP's profile

SamuelP

793 posts in 2311 days


#7 posted 04-09-2012 08:54 PM

The first transitional plane I like. Thank you.

-- -Sam - FL- "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns somthing he can in no other way" -Mark Twain

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

16265 posts in 3883 days


#8 posted 04-09-2012 09:04 PM

Sweeeeet!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View jjw5858's profile

jjw5858

1133 posts in 2267 days


#9 posted 04-09-2012 09:17 PM

Great job looks awesome!

-- "Always continue to learn, laugh and share!" JJW

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

4151 posts in 2616 days


#10 posted 04-09-2012 09:27 PM

Nailed it!

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

4313 posts in 3399 days


#11 posted 04-09-2012 10:18 PM

Nice one, Don!! I come to a screeching halt every time I take my transitionals off the shelf….because I could easily fabricate a new wooden body, BUT….Removing the Stanley, or Union, Sargent stamping on the nose? That’s just plain wrong! Has anyone ever found a set of dies to re-create that fine Logo and numeric size? I’ve considered slicing off the nose, 1/8” thick, and gluing it up to the new body, but it might not look good. Suggestions? Great plane there, Don! Thanks for not using square-drive steel screws!

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

View Don W's profile

Don W

18320 posts in 2233 days


#12 posted 04-09-2012 10:24 PM

I actually considered slicing off the nose, 1/8” thick, and gluing it up to the new body. The problem with the body on this one, you could pick it apart with your fingernail. It was dry rotten beyond repair. I could make out “Stanley” and “27”, but you had to work at it. This is the first one I’ve rebuilt the body on.

The tote has a little dry rot one one side. After soaking it in BLO, it came back enough to keep it. I originally thought I’d need to make a new tote as well.

-- http://timetestedtools.net - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View ksSlim's profile

ksSlim

1236 posts in 2555 days


#13 posted 04-09-2012 11:42 PM

Nice! Have you tried the epoxy stabilizer for dry rot? Tends to darken the color slightly.

-- Sawdust and shavings are therapeutic

View Dave's profile

Dave

11420 posts in 2505 days


#14 posted 04-09-2012 11:46 PM

A very nice rebuild Don. I cant wait to see it in a year or so when the red starts to get rich and dark.
Well done.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Don W's profile

Don W

18320 posts in 2233 days


#15 posted 04-09-2012 11:47 PM

Slim, I’ve used it on window sill and the like for historical restorations. I never thought of it for a hand plane.

-- http://timetestedtools.net - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

showing 1 through 15 of 27 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com