|Project by MasterSergeant||posted 04-07-2012 07:19 PM||1081 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
Mulberry and cedar wood weekend.
Picture #2 My neighbor cut down a “volunteer” mulberry tree the other day. He gave my the larger limbs for helping him with the cutting. I needed a good solid mallet in the shop so I cut a 12 inch log out and mounted it in the lathe. I was surprised at how yellow the wood is and very dense. I applied several coats of TUNG oil and now I think it is too pretty to every strike a blow with it ;-P, but I will sooner or later.
Picture #3 This mallet was turned from a Mulberry tree the neighbor cut down. I’m not sure what the mallet is good for except maybe stopping an intruder in the house. But I had fun turning it. I stained with a walnut gel and top coated with several coats of TUNG oil
While turning this piece I noticed a large bug tunnel and as I turning the piece smaller the hole became larger. When I had finished turning to shape I stopped the lathe, the hole was up and low and behold a bug/grub came crawling out of the hole, pretty dizzy little fellow I must add. I quickly dispatched him out the back door and I am sure a sparrow had a feast on that fat little grub.
Picture #4: I had a few minutes up in the shop the other day. I found one of my 3D reindeer that had not been finished. Here is my attempt at painting a reindeer. Pretty pathetic but it still looks like a reindeer, sort-of ;-D
-- Kelly, woodworker under construction