|Project by JeffC||posted 04-06-2012 03:45 AM||3401 views||25 times favorited||18 comments|
My old garden boxes where simple 2”x12”x4’ butt screwed at the edges. They were functional, but quickly broke down and warped, but still held the dirt in.
So I decided to make some new ones, drafted up some plans, and by using only dimensional lumber I could pick up at the local lumber yard, I was able to make them pretty cheap.
I bought 8’ 2”x6”, cut them in half and planed and jointed them to dimension, mitered the edges, and joined them with biskits. The small vertical pieces where 2”x4”s ripped in half and attached from the inside with screws. I did not want any exposed hardware.
I finished the piece with some outdoor UV resistant wood stain (forget which brand, have it in the garage somewhere) but I did not want any of the stain in contact with the soil, so I glued pond liner all along the inside of the box, which also protects the fasteners from weather (the bottom is open)
So far I have finished five, with plans for eight in total, in a 3×3 grid, with an opening in the middle for a little table and a pair of chairs.
I am happy with them after one season, with only minor cupping on one top board. In hindsight, I should have banked the top boards like 5 degrees so water ran off to the ouside of the box. Water tends to pool on the flat surfaces.