|Project by JeffC||posted 710 days ago||1858 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
My better half wanted a sturdier table then the plastic folding table she was using for glass work.
While being a novice at wood working, I do have some experience in project management and tried to get a good requirements document before starting. A piece of advice I learned during this process, rather then try to extract requirements, just compile a list of what was wrong or missing on the table being replaced. From this list, I put together a simple list:
- Smooth, flat top
- Open underneath
- Top flush with apron front and rear, but slight overhang left to right
- As cheap as possible
So it ended up just being jointed/planed dimensional 2×4’s, glued up two for each leg, half lapped the stretchers along the bottom, top frame is like a small studded pony wall on its side, held up by half the doubled up legs. Top is 1/2” MDF.
Finish was danish oil, top was painted with some oil based deck paint I had, and finished with paste wax.
I think overall it cost about $35-40 in materials. So simple, cheap, but met the requirements.
PS, second pic is getting the daughter involved, and no, with long sleeves, she was relegated to measuring.