|Project by elbarneso||posted 04-04-2012 02:44 AM||4196 views||30 times favorited||13 comments|
I honestly did not start this project intending for it to be a flip sandwiched between 2 storage units. I did want to build a flip stand for my miter saw and planer at some point, but storage was my main priority when starting this. However, I really wanted to try pre-finished birch plywood, and it worked out perfectly for 2 sheets of 4’x8’ 3/4” so I decided to do this all at once.
This project was also an excuse for me to try finger joints (for the drawers), and I decided to use poplar for them. The handles are also small pieces of poplar connected with drawer screws into brass threaded inserts. I wanted to save money on the drawer slides and also had some extra maple strips, so I used the maple as guides (dado’d into the carcass). The drawers are finished with sanding sealer and paste wax, which seems to give a very smooth drawer action.
The flip design is derived from a number of other projects out there. A 1/2” steel bar was sandwiched between 2 sheets of 3/4” plywood – the steel bar sits inside oil-impregnated brass bushings that have shoulders on them so the bar can’t pop out – this also keeps the action very smooth. Large eye bolts were used for the 4 corner locks that swivel out of the way. To create the space between the drawer units (so the flip would not scrape the sides), I used what appear to be UHMW washers that came with a TV stand. I put a small screw into each one and wired it to the corner bolt so I would not lose them.
Here is a video of the flip stand in action – apologies as it’s my first video and I was doing the flip with 1 hand – I suppose that is a good test for the usability of the stand!
<iframe src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/fsgezlX9OoU” frameborder=”0” height=”315” width=”560”></iframe>
The edges of the plywood are finished with some maple strips leftover. The mobile bases are leftover 2×4s probably from Home Depot. The wheel are 3” single locking from Amazon.
If I did this project again, I would build a single mobile base for the entire unit and get 4” or 5” dual-locking wheels. The reason is that I do notice some flex sometimes when rolling the unit, and I think a single base would eliminate that. Also, the larger dual-locking wheels, although more expensive, would allow easier rolling.
Links to special parts: