|Project by EarlS||posted 04-02-2012 09:08 PM||3926 views||24 times favorited||10 comments|
I finally finished the cubbies my wife has been hounding me to finsh since we moved into the house almost 5 years ago.
This isn’t my usual kind of project but I managed to come up with a decent design after looking at lots of pictures in magazines and on LJ. I used maple for the face framing and birch plywood for the boxes and panels. Since I didn’t want to try to lift the entire unit, I built each box, painted it and then put a couple of coats of poly acrylic over the latex for duability. Then I screwed them into the wall and tied them together with the face framing. A bit of crown molding, some paint and poly for the face frame and the cubbies were finished. The wainscotting panels were built as one unit finished then installed. I added a coupl of corbels I picked up at the big box store for accent, installed the hooks and the project was finished.
As with every project there were a couple of things that could have been done better. My design skills are still a bit lacking on the little details. All in all though, my wife is happy so I am happy
-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"