LumberJocks

Tissue Box Cover - First Handcut Dovetails

  • Advertise with us
Project by Deaser posted 878 days ago 1237 views 4 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is a tissue box cover I built for my brother as a birthday gift. He asked for one of these about a year ago. It was my first attempt at hand-cut dovetails. The sides are Poplar, milled to 3/8” thick. My new Lie-Nielsen Progressive Pitch Dovetail Saw cut like butta. (gloat…ahem) Wow, what a pleasure it is to use that saw! The sawing went more smoothly than expected, but I struggled most with the chisel work. I think I need to upgrade my Stanley Fat Max chisels, improve my sharpening skills, or consider a smaller bevel angle for Poplar? Probably all 3.

Once the sides were assembled, I was happy enough with the results that I decided to use a nice piece of Curly Cherry I had for the top. It’s 1/2” thick. I’m definitely a fan of Curly Cherry!

For the finished, I used a coat of boiled linseed oil, followed by a coat of dewaxed shellac, and then 3 coats of oil-based poly.

I liked this project so much I almost kept it for myself, but I’m glad I didn’t because my brother was pretty psyched when he opened his gift!

-- Steve, Pennsylvania





5 comments so far

View Hoakie's profile

Hoakie

306 posts in 2669 days


#1 posted 878 days ago

Very cool and nice dovetails…. especially if those are truly your first ones…surely you have some practice ones laying around your shop somewhere :)

-- John H. [To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~Edison]

View Dusty56's profile

Dusty56

11644 posts in 2321 days


#2 posted 878 days ago

Nice job ! Nice Curly Cherry : )
What did the Shellac do in between the BLO and the coats of oil poly ?

-- I'm absolutely positive that I couldn't be more uncertain!

View Deaser's profile

Deaser

51 posts in 1050 days


#3 posted 877 days ago

Thanks guys. Honestly, this was my first attempt. It seemed to take forever, but I really enjoyed the process of creating dovetails by hand. I used this as a practice project for the show rack I plan to build for my wife.

Dusty56, first let me say that I’m a novice when it comes to finishing. I like to use the Zinsser Bullseye Sealcoat after a coat of oil, as it dries quickly and sands to a fairly smooth finish after a single coat. I’ve used this as a final finish in the past with good results and could have done that, but after I applied the shellac, I decided I wanted to go with a finish coat that would hold up better to contact with water in case it was used in a bathroom. Was the shellac necessary? Probably not. But it dries faster than poly and in my opinion sands more easily than poly so it works well as an in-between sanding sealer.

-- Steve, Pennsylvania

View Dusty56's profile

Dusty56

11644 posts in 2321 days


#4 posted 877 days ago

Thanks for the explanation : )
I assumed that with both being oil based , they would be compatible , but maybe the Poly wouldn’t stick to the BLO ?
I know that I’ve used oil based stains in the past with Poly for a finish , with no problems.
I guess some experimentation is in order : ) LOL

-- I'm absolutely positive that I couldn't be more uncertain!

View Dave's profile

Dave

11159 posts in 1473 days


#5 posted 867 days ago

A very nice box and wonderful dove tails. Really its impressive.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase