|Project by JR_Dog||posted 04-02-2012 02:32 PM||2794 views||6 times favorited||20 comments|
Okay, so I’ve learned a lot during this project.. mainly that I don’t really want to make another one without a larger sander… my arm is not happy. I have an orbital but that poor little dude is still breathing heavy from sanding this puppy. All in all it’s a nice piece.. I’d change the colors on the next one to brighten it up a bit but I went with what I had which as Bubinga and Canary Wood. The Bubinga was cut in 2” strips and the Canary in 1”. I figured out that my gluing techniques need some work (Too much glue and wandering pieces when drying – made for a lot of sanding since I didn’t want to send the end grain through the planer), and my table saw fence must be off a bit since it left a lot of burn marks in the wood that took FOREVER to sand out… sometimes a good ole spank’n is still the best way to learn. The dimensions are just shy of 2” thick after the sanding and about 12” x 22” wide and long respectfully. I’d like to take it to someone that has a larger bench sander and see if I can smooth it out a bit more but we’ll see. I may just leave it as a reminder of my first…. it’s certainly rugged enough to take many years of cutting. If I left out any details that anyone wants to know ping me and I’ll update the post.