*SOLD* Sycamore Slab Waterfall Table

  • Advertise with us
Project by Elwood89 posted 748 days ago 3111 views 6 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Sycamore Slab Waterfall Coffee Table / Bench

I’ve been wanting to make this table since I was given this slab. After spending the better part of two days planing it with a trim router, building the table wasn’t too difficult. The waterfall leg is attached with three loose tenons (Festool Dominos) and the other leg is mortise and tenon. Both are set with a two part epoxy. The finish is teak oil. There is a lot of burl and figure throughout this piece, Mother Nature put a lot of work into this one.

-- Elwood, making sawdust in Germany,

16 comments so far

View Sam Shakouri's profile

Sam Shakouri

960 posts in 1587 days

#1 posted 748 days ago

I like the title.

-- Sam Shakouri / CREATING WONDERS WITH WOOD.....Sydney,Australia....

View WILLIE's profile


47 posts in 1283 days

#2 posted 748 days ago

Great! i’ve got a few campher slabs waiting and might steal your idea. the 45degree cut might be a problem for me.

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

10769 posts in 837 days

#3 posted 748 days ago

I really like this one.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it. - It's not ability that we often lack, but the patience to use our ability

View Elwood89's profile


115 posts in 1114 days

#4 posted 748 days ago

The 45 degree cut was a problem for me, too. There was no way I would be able to keep the slab straight as I pushed it through my table saw (assuming I could get the slab on the table) and the slab was too wide for my miter saw. My circular saw could only cut about 80% of the thickness of the slab and there was no way I was going to plane this anymore. So I made the 80% cut with the circular track saw, flipped it over and cut the other 20% as close as I could. Then I cleaned up the difference. It worked out okay in the end with the epoxy filling in where I wasn’t perfect.

-- Elwood, making sawdust in Germany,

View pastorglen's profile


251 posts in 1189 days

#5 posted 748 days ago

That’s really cool. The idea of a waterfall makes this table come alive.

Thanks for posting this!

-- Glen, Pennsylvania, Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men."

View Woodbridge's profile


2419 posts in 917 days

#6 posted 748 days ago

The waterfall idea really makes great use of the sycamore slab. Great idea and great result.

-- Peter, Woodbridge, Ontario

View HalDougherty's profile


1820 posts in 1736 days

#7 posted 748 days ago

Your table looks fantastic. I’m still impressed with your trim router surfacing sled. “I use a 2 1/4 hp router with a 3/4 flat bit and it only takes 15 to 30 minutes to flatten a slab. Then a few passes with a belt sander to remove the shadow lines the router leaves. (You can see the marks, but you can’t feel them.) Then I start with 120grit and work up to 320 and start wet sanding with tung oil and extra fine stainless steel wool. Your beautiful bench makes me want to go build one today! Thanks for sharing your bench with everyone.

-- Hal, Tennessee

View ed220's profile


615 posts in 1892 days

#8 posted 748 days ago

Awesome table !!

View a1Jim's profile


109230 posts in 2076 days

#9 posted 748 days ago


-- Custom furniture

View don1960's profile


211 posts in 1186 days

#10 posted 748 days ago

very nice. I haven’t seen a table made this way before.

That’s a lot of sanding, and the result is stunning.

-- -- Don from PA

View IndianJoe's profile


421 posts in 749 days

#11 posted 748 days ago

like your work I got some slab wood that 21/2 in thick you got me making one now lol

-- Nimkee** Joe

View doncutlip's profile


2832 posts in 2055 days

#12 posted 747 days ago

Very unique and cool

-- Don, Royersford, PA

View deon's profile


2005 posts in 1525 days

#13 posted 747 days ago

Looks great!

-- Dreaming patterns

View Rick's profile


5861 posts in 1532 days

#14 posted 747 days ago

Very Nice Project! Thanks For posting!

-- The Difference Between A BEER And Your OPINION Is, I Asked For The BEER!

View jaykaypur's profile


3090 posts in 907 days

#15 posted 747 days ago

Beautiful job and I also liked the surfacing sled/table you made to use on this.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

showing 1 through 15 of 16 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase