|Project by William||posted 03-29-2012 02:57 AM||2341 views||1 time favorited||10 comments|
Our patio furniture had seen its better days. It had these plastic straps on the chairs that had all dry rotted and anytime someone tried sitting on them they went through them. My wife and I went patio furniture shopping. After breathing into a bag to get my breath, I decided to try refurnishing our old ones.
I looked around the shop at my available wood choices. My wife already had ideas of her own though. She wanted red oak. I tried explaining to her that it wasn’t a good choice, but that’s what she wanted. You know what they say. When mama aint happy, aint nobody happy. So I don’t know how well these will hold up. I will report in a year or so if they rot out right away. For now though, my wife is happy.
Each chair has fifty slats. Each slat is fitted with a cleat on each side on the back to hold them in place. The cleats are glued with Titebond II and shot with an 18GA brad nailer. These do not support any weight. They only hold the slats in place to keep them from sliding side to side.
All the metal on the chairs and table got two coats of Rustoleum Hunter Green.
All the wood got treated with Behr Premium Waterproofer.