|Project by William||posted 03-29-2012 02:43 AM||4909 views||8 times favorited||20 comments|
This will be sort of a project and blog all rolled into one. I was going to just blog about it, but figured it fit into the project section since it is made of wood.
I used to have a twelve inch disk sander. It was the only part of an old Total Shop machine that I actually used. Well, when I decided to use that motor unit for my shop made band saw, it left me without a bench top disk sander. Afer searching high and low locally and not being able to find a new one, I decided to make a disk sanding station on the outboard side of my lathe.
I used a compass to mark a circle the same size as my mounting plate for the outboard spindle on my lathe. Then I used the same center point to drill a quarter inch hole so I could use a router circle jig to cut a twelve inch circle.
Then I glued and screwed that piece of plywood to another piece. I wanted it thick so there would be less flex to it. Next I screwed the mounting plate to the center by carefully lining it up with the circle I marked with the compass.
Then I trimmed the second piece of plywood with a pattern bit on the router table. I done it this way to try and keep everything as balanced as possible.
Then, before going any further, I attached it to the lathe to test it. I wanted to test it before even thinking of going further. I had a concern with the motor being powerful enough. My old sander was a horse and a hlf. With this lathe only having a half horse motor, I was curious if this was even going to be powerful enough. It works fine, so I was ready to call it a night and think about how I wanted to build my table.
This is where things went way off track.
As I was removing the disk sanding pad I’d made, I noticed something that had never caught my attention before now. There was some play back and forth on the spindle of the lathe. So I started disassembling the spindle assembly to find out why.
As it turned out, it was only a loose locking collar that needed tightening. However, I figured that since I was that far into it, I may as well completely disasseble it and make sure everything was in good shape. Besides needing some cleaning of old sawdust that was packed in there, it was.
Why stopthere though?
This motor still has plenty of power. Something is causing problems at startup though. Sometimes I have to spin start it like an old Model A Ford. My friend, SuperD, had given me a newer half horse motor a while back to put on it. I just hadn’t taken the time yet to do it. I figured since I was this far into it, I may as well go ahead and get this little task done as well.
So I replaced the “made in China” motor for a “made in Mexico” motor. This one though, at least the writing on it is written in English. I don’t have to spin start it now though, so I’m happy.
I decided to go simple with the table. I don’t need it to tilt. I had my other twelve inch for over two years and never once tilted it. So here is the frame. It’ll bolt on the side farthest from the disk so the table can swing out of the way to remove the disk when needing to use the lathe. Also….....
The side closest to the disk has adjustment knobs under it. These are just two long knob bolts ran through a piece of wood. On the top side, I chiseled out the profile of the nuts so they are set into the wood and holds them from moving when adjusting the table.
Anytime I make a wooden table on a tool, I like it to be adjustable because it is wood. Wood moves. I find that without adjustment, some days, especially humid and rainy days, squareness may have to be adjusted to actually be square.
Then I built a box to raise everything up to a height I like working at on my disk sander. This is attached at the back with bolts. Then I attached a piece of plywood on top of that to serve as a table.
That’s it. I’ve only run a few test pieces so far, some cottonwood, pecan, and oak. The sander seems to work plenty good enough for what I need it for though.