|Project by Ken90712||posted 752 days ago||3987 views||20 times favorited||24 comments|
I have wanted to make one of these for quite some time! Why I waited this long is beyond me. I have read and watched many videos and posts on so many different types of sleds. I really liked Marc’s but decided to add a couple of things as well.
I started with 1/2 BB plywood like in the plans, roughly 30×36. I glued 2 pieces of the 1/2 BB together for the fences and then cut the dadoes and the curves. I used Marc’s method for setting up the fence after screwing down the sliders made out of hard maple. Took a little hand sanding to get them to slide nicely, but after a while it worked like a dream. I used chalk to find out where the slides were rubbing.
Now it was time for the 5 cut test method. I really like this was of doing this. After the first test cut it was a little off, (well not really)…. :>) Marc suggested to have fun with it and try to get it closer. So why not I thought, well after a couple of tries, I got it really close.
I had the dimensions of .385 & .380 for a difference of .05. I then divided by four giving me a whopping .00125 or (1/800th) of error over 19 inches…. I think I can live with that!!! LOL !
I put in tracks on both fences (well ran out need to buy more for rear) for stops and hold downs. The safety block made sense from other posts here on Lumberjocks. I had some old orange paint so what the heck.
Big Thanks to Woodwhisper and all he does for us woodworkers. I’m glad I finally made one.
All comments welcome.
Thanks for looking.
-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"