|Project by whope||posted 03-26-2012 02:36 PM||1121 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I wanted a fairly simple project for my first piece of furniture. This chest came from Woodsmiths a long time ago. I found that I could do 3 chests with 2 sheets of plywood, so the idea is to learn a bit from each.
I’ll be keeping the first two.
Things I learned from the first:
- Lumber from Lowes leaves much to be desired (one side of one of the sheets plywood has a veener was a bit lacey and only showed when I stained)
- I don’t like working with oil-based stains (well, I knew that, this will be the last)
- There is such a thing as too-snug a fit
- The screws for the hinges poke out through the cove on the trim (need to use different hinges for the other two chests)
-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.