|Project by Marc||posted 03-26-2012 03:34 AM||1922 views||5 times favorited||4 comments|
As the title suggests, this was a king sized woodworking project. Yet, it didn’t take a year to complete. ;-) My wife has been wanting a headboard for our bed ever since we moved into this house a few years ago. We finally sat down in earnest a couple of weeks ago and came up with a design we both liked. Surprisingly enough it was my design that won out! After completing all major construction last weekend, we were able to put it all together, paint and finish it, and get it installed this weekend. She is very happy with it and thinks our bedroom now looks like an actual adult bedroom so this project was definitely a success.
It is pretty simple construction. I just used lengths of 1×6 aspen from one of the big box stores and fastened them together with pocket screws. We found a nice tweed fabric for the panels and put them together with a little foam batting and some 1/4” plywood. I routed out a small recess for each panel and then we decided to just hold them in place using some scraps I had laying around, as you can see in the pictures. This way we can change the fabric out pretty easily if it gets damaged or if we just want something different. I also built a frame around the outside of the headboard so it would lay flat against the wall. The top piece of the frame was cut at an angle for a french cleat so it would be easy to hang it on the wall. After a little paint and poly it was all ready to go.
Enjoy the pictures…
-- Marc, http://www.logicallymarc.com/