|Project by snewOevaD||posted 03-24-2012 10:14 PM||1647 views||1 time favorited||17 comments|
This is my first Box. I found a nice cutoff piece of Bubinga at the local wood store about a year ago, but never found the right project. Then while I was there a couple weeks ago, I saw a pallet of cutoff Butternut. I found a nice piece about 6 inches wide and about 2 feet long. I paid $1.50 for it, and thought that it would go nicely with the Bubinga I still had from a while ago.
I made a lot of mistakes in the process, but that is ok, it taught me a lot about how to do it different and better. The finish is a couple of heavy coats of Danish oil in Fruitwood color, then after it dried for a few days, I put on a coat of paste wax. I think next time I’ll do wipe on Poly instead of Wax. I know that it will take longer, but I really like how shiny the poly gets vs how shiny I can get the wax. I’m sure with more experience and/or someone showing me in person how to prep the piece for wax and how to do the wax, it will turn out better.
What I really liked is that the Butternut and Bubinga look just as good together as I envisioned. I also like that this procrastinator kept plugging away until it was done. My wife is VERY happy with her box and she deserves it for the patience that she has shown me for the last 13 – 1/2 years. ( I made a couple of queen size beds, (one for us, one to sell) and ended up selling both.)