|Project by Rob Macdonald||posted 03-21-2012 02:42 AM||1264 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
This was going to be the base for a larger vessel but I was not happy with the resulting color of the brick red sand inlay so I repurposed it as a candle base .. I have a bigger candle somewhere that will fit the 4.5” diameter base better than that one
I was not happy with the brick red inlay, you can sort of see the color I wanted it to be on the unfinished pic. The result was a dark brown purplish color. The double thin inlay lines were just fine red and the wider inlay using coarse white and fine red. the black was just fine black sand
The black inlay came out OK … there are some patches of dark black and the rest is a bit lighter. I think this is from the CA glue, either the CA glue built up in spots during the application or I didnt build it up enough or pack it. I think I can get a more consistent color on my next attempt
Learning from my previous project, I didnt even bother using my tools on this one and went straight for the power hand sander while it was spinning on the lathe. To get into the tight areas on the middle, I used an old extra coarse grit hand sander belt cut to a manageable size.
Well it didnt end up as the first part for my grandeous idea but it will live out a happy existance on my shelf, replacing the coasters that I was using under my candles.
-- IF IT IS TO BE IT IS UP TO ME