|Project by Tootles||posted 03-20-2012 12:06 PM||2381 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
For a while now, I have wanted and needed a mallet. I’ve seen a nice one in the shops for under $30, but I was given some old oak shelving a while back and so I decided to try making one out of that. The design and dimensions are based on the plans from Craftsmanspace.
It has been an interesting project because it has gone backwards and forwards between home and work workshops depending on which is best equipped for the next step in the process. You could even say that it’s already quite a well travvelled mallet!
The finish is three coats of BLO thinned with Turpentine as per the instructions on the bottle, which I did actually read since it is my first time using BLO. I think I’m going to leave it at that for now and decide later whether more coats of BLO, or anything else, are required
-- I may have lost my marbles, but I still have my love of woodworking