|Project by Gabe C.||posted 03-09-2012 08:27 PM||2422 views||9 times favorited||20 comments|
So about three weeks ago, my brother-in-law Dave called me up to ask if I could help him build a chicken coop in his and my sister’s backyard. I said “Sure!”, and after loading up a lot of tools and heading over there every couple of days, we just finished it today. It certainly turned out to be a bigger project than any of us had expected, but I think it came out really nice.
Some of the things that I am particularly proud of are the gable vents and the verticle sliding chicken run door, all of which I put some thought to and built them in my garage. Also the windows were a quick and fun part of the project. Another thing that I want to point out, because I thought it was a nice touch, is that the unpainted wood lining the insides of the windows is salvaged from a barn that was over a hundred years old that was taken down a year or so ago.
Dave is ALREADY a handy guy, but he learned quite a bit on this project, building the run and the ramp in particular, as well as working with me on everything else. Now if he would only get his OWN darn speed square and tool pouches…
Also my sister Jenna did a great job doing all the painting, something I personally hate to spend any time doing.
There is a little bit of touch up to do, and the downspouts on the gutters (Yeah, this coop has GUTTERS!), but it’s pretty much done.
All in all it was a very fun and satisfying project…and they have told me that I can have all the eggs I want.
Any questions and comments are welcome. Thanks for checking it out!
-- If I could just get this whole "Time/Money" problem figured out...