|Project by JoelK||posted 03-08-2012 03:43 AM||4600 views||12 times favorited||11 comments|
Here it is a little rough but complete, quite a few changes including the extruded aluminum. I changed the gearing on the x axis about 5 to 1 now, moved the shaft pillow bearings to the outside of the shaft removing all the flex problems I was having before, which caused the timing belts to be too loose. Changed to rigid couplers to avoid any backlash on the x and y axis. I used machined rails for the z bearings for a more snug fit on the bearings removing 95% of the original slop I had with the wood and flat steel setup from before. The gantry is much lighter now causing less strain on the stepper motor. The sign was the first project I tried after the upgrade. I am extremely pleased with the final outcome. The lighthouse is from a picture I used CorelDraw to turn it into line art and create the text, then used CAMBAM to create the gcode and finally plugged the gcode into EMC2 same product and its open source and all together in one package, the operating system and EMC2. You can download it from LinuxCNC.org they have a great group of people that will answer any questions or help resolve any issues you may have with the program and setup, the forums are fantastic. This machine took about 10 months to make as it sits now I did make one project with the original machine and realized there were some major issues causing me to make the upgrades.