|Project by KnickKnack||posted 03-07-2012 12:18 PM||4700 views||20 times favorited||26 comments|
You don’t see a lot of these about.
In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these – so, a challenge!
We’ve been looking for a small pedal bin for the compostable kitchen waste for a while. The old one was a not-cheap crappy plastic jobbie – it didn’t last long. We hunted and we searched – all we could find were more not-cheap crappy ones that looked like they’d last a week or two, or ones of higher quality that were way way way too big.
So, in a fit of stupidity – ”I’m not paying that much for that” – I said I’d make one.
I did some research – that didn’t help much.
In a previous life I used to work for Lloyd’s of London – amazing building in London where the pipework is on the outside of the building, so I thought, rather than hide the mechanism, I’d expose it.
I did the maths (and some math, for those reading this in american), and knocked together, in about 30 minutes, a prototype. This is terrible terrible work, but the important thing was that it worked, and we (royal “we” – the wife) got to play with it for size etc etc, and I got to learn a bunch of things about the mechanism…
Lessons learned, I set to making the “real thing”.
It’s destined for the kitchen, so I designed it to blend in with the kitchen sink unit I made a long time ago.
Making the box itself was easy enough, although there’s a lot of dowel work that I don’t like and am not very good at. Making the hingy bits was more of a challenge. The one that attaches to the lid I made by sticking a bit of beech onto a dowel, putting it in the drill, and sanding a lot – this then pushes through the hole and glues only to the lid. The other hinge is just a dowel pushed through and only glued on the 2 sides – 15 minutes of constant motion while the glue set just to make sure it wasn’t going to bind.
Picking the right places for the attachments is the hardest part – I’d learned from the prototype that the calculated version is OK, but not necessarily what you want. There are a lot of degrees of freedom in here – step size (which controls the angle it will turn through), step height, step hinge point, lengths of the 2 pieces of mechanism, and positioning on the lid. If you get one of these wrong it can be hard to start the lid moving, or the lid goes too far and doesn’t come down on its own, or it doesn’t go far enough or….
Here you can see it working…
And, in full movie technicolour, on a somewhat windy morning, featuring…
- The wife on camera – you will hear quite clearly her saying “cool” – a result!
- My feet playing the pedal
- A special guest appearance by Ferushka, our remaining dog…
<iframe src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/YQ7Z6dxNQIA” frameborder=”0” height=”315” width=”560”></iframe>
Made with ply and pine so bad that the DIY shop was actually throwing it out. Finished with Portuguese oil (last piccie)
Comments, thoughts, criticisms, laughter etc etc – all are welcome – if I don’t like any of them, well, I can just throw them in my pedal bin!
-- "Do not speak – unless it improves on silence." --- "Following the rules and protecting the regulations is binding oneself without rope."