|Project by jessetheradical||posted 03-03-2012 01:14 AM||2271 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
This was my first HUGE undertaking in carpentry. To start, I had to build a platform on which to tile, because when we removed the old cabinets, it was a 1 inch unfinished deficit.
The side pillars were recycled from 80 inch posts that we removed from another part of the house and wanted to save.
The door frames were fabricated from plywood, because at the time I didn’t realize you could buy just a 1×2 for frames. I actually ran these through a router table backwards. I didn’t have any kind of pocket screw kit at the time nor did I know anything about joinery, so they are butt joints with screws (that actually split the wood and I clamped, glued, and sanded to fix.)
The finish was first a coat of white paint, and then the dark cream. After the cream dried, I sanded and sanded to get the white to show through.
The counter-top is made of pine (probably a bad choice for this bathroom, but it will get dinged up and go with the weathered look.) I didn’t own a handplane at the time, so I sanded for till I couldn’t feel my arms.
The last pic is a frontal view showing the finished drawers, doors, and counter top.
Wow, did I learn a lot on this project, but it sure was fun. (Oh and I built and painted the mirror frame to match the style of the room)