|Project by LukieB||posted 03-02-2012 12:48 AM||11802 views||36 times favorited||17 comments|
Had to find a storage solution for my rapidly growing hand plane collection. Even more rapid once I started designing it. I wanted to leave space for some planes I didn’t have like the #6 and the 5-1/2, but couldn’t find any reliable dimensions online, so I went ahead and hunted them down on Ebay. Slippery slope indeed. This project was inspired by ChunckyC’s till. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/59536 Not so much for what it was, but for what it could have been. It was his idea to have a “hidden” compartment behind the planes. I really liked the idea since in my small shop storage has to be maximized whenever possible. It just so happened that I was also looking for a dust free space to store my adhesive backed sandpaper that i had bought for truing the soles of these old planes on a granite block. The till is made of mostly solid maple except for the 3/4” plywood door and the 1/4” ply back. Most of which I had laying around from previous projects. The door is attached to the cabinet with a piano hinge that runs the length of it. I put a solid maple edge on that side because i thought it would hold screws better, then it looked kinda stupid so I decided to edge the whole thing. I made the edging for the sides taller to match the plane spacers and it really came out nice. I left some space on the bottom of the door that i could place some future additions.(a Veritas bevel up smoother is the first thing that comes to mind.) I decide I liked the “hidden” idea so instead of a handle right there, I just put a notch in the bottom of the shelf big enough for two fingers to open the door. The cabinet part is solid maple just put together with pocket screws. Most of the tills I had seen here on LJs the planes were facing the other way, but I really liked the way they looked with the Stanley lever caps all lined up. That meant a series of intricate notches to get them to sit the way I wanted. I should have taken a picture of what the back of that board looked like before I glued it on there. This formation also meant all the blades would be lined up, so I put a dado running the length of the till so the blades wouldn’t hit anything when pulling them in and out. This project sorta spiraled outta control and got nicer and nicer as I went along, so by the time I went to put some finish on it I ended up doing like 7 coats. I’m really happy with how it turned out but I’m kinda ashamed of how long I spent on it. Wife thinks I’m crazy, some of you might think so too.
-- Lucas, "Someday woodworks will be my real job, until then, there's this http://www.melbrownfarmsupply.com"