|Project by rustfever||posted 02-27-2012 03:34 AM||4800 views||17 times favorited||18 comments|
Recently, I posted a project report upon the construction of ‘Wooden’ flashlights. I have since spent more time to prefect the art and now have produced an additional 30 of these. I have worked with many different woods including: Olive, Claro Walnut, Carob, Red Gum Euclyptus, American Cherry, Juniper, Bird’s Eye Western Maple, Curley Western Maple, Mesquire Burl. Aligator Juniper Burl, Cork [White] Oak, and several other.
I started with some inexpensivie flashlights I found at Home Depot for $8.00 for a set of eight flashlights with AAA batteries. I found them to be .986” OD. I used a 1” [.997”] Forstner bit to core a hole thru the center of a piece of wood, aproxximaterly 1.5” x 1.5” x 3.17” L. I built stepped bushings out of Oak and them chucked them upon my pen mandrel. I turned the ‘sleeves’ to 1.18” OD. I finished as if they were a good pen.
The flashlights were wiped down with alcohol, then the wood sleeves were sliped over, attached using with medium CA glue. An hour later, the flashlights are ready for use. The rest is history.
The woods are: Top row, Cherry, Juniper, Olive & Carob. The lower row is: Madrone Burl, Cork Oak,  Mesquite Burls, and finally Pistachio.
-- Rustfever, Central California