This is one of the very first projects I made (about 3 years ago). I made lots of mistakes building it, but learned a lot along the way. It’s made from red oak, which I purchased from Lowes because at the time I had no planner and didn’t know where to get lumber yet. Unfortunately I also got the plywood from Lowes, (didn’t know where to get good plywood yet either), so this it’s full of voids. Some of the voids are right below the veneer, so it’s quite easy to poke though them (I should try to inject the voids with epoxy, but the shelf is full of books now :-) ). I also made the beginners mistake of cutting all of my parts at once (I was working from a set of plans) so the little errors (16th here 16th there, and warping of the boards (didn’t mill them myself)) started to add up to make assembly very interesting. All-in-all I’m pleased with how it turned out, especially considering my lack of experience at the time. The finish was Minwax Early American Stain and 3 coats of Ploy.