|Project by Zulu55||posted 02-23-2012 05:32 PM||2692 views||5 times favorited||11 comments|
I just finished my son’s bed frame. I chose Pine to match the dresser and bedside table I had made earlier.
I attached the upper and lower stretchers to the posts with mortise and tenon’s to form a frame. I then made a smaller “frame” consisting of vertical rails and two additional stretcher’s that would “fit” into the large frame. I say, “fit” because the math side of my brain must have been taking a nap while I was crunching numbers (after I already cut the mortises into the posts!) As soon as I realized my mistake and that there was going to be a 1 1/4” vertical gap, I was a bit disappointed. I came up with a few solutions. One involved shortening the head and footboards, another involved buying new lumber for the posts and the third involved adding an additional stretcher to compensate for the gap. I decided to go with the third solution. Once I decided on that, I didn’t feel like adding another piece of Pine as I figured it would look a bit chunky (meaning that the Pine was already stacking up near the top). I decided to add a piece of dark contrasting wood and I just so happened to have some Jatoba lying around in my shop. I glued it to the top of the vertical rail frame and fit the assembly into the foot and headboards. I am happy with the results.
The project was finished with one coat of rubbed on Boiled Linseed Oil, Brushed on amber shellac and some wax.
The 2nd last picture is my son assisting with the finishing touches (adding the bed hardware to the rails).
The last picture is the bed all set up and my little fella hiding behind his safety rail.
-- Adam - Langley, British Columbia (Canada)