LumberJocks

Contemporary TV Console/Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Project by Ron Stewart posted 02-20-2012 10:00 PM 3125 views 17 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Here’s a TV console/cabinet I finished building in July 2011.

We used to have an armoire-style entertainment center in our family room. It was beautiful but, despite being roughly the size and weight of a Mini Cooper stood on end, could hold only up to a 40”, thin-bezel, speakers-on-the-bottom, flat screen TV (and I had to remove its doors for that).

We wanted a lowboy/console-style TV cabinet, and looked at the local furniture stores. We didn’t really like anything we saw, and we didn’t want to spend $1000+ anyway. My wife sort of liked a cheap looking (to my eyes) TechCraft console at the local hhgregg store. (This from the woman who surprised me by not wanting to name our son Ethan Allen…)

No offense to any TechCraft owners who may read this, but I really didn’t want to buy that piece, so I started scouring the web for better options. I thought I found the perfect piece: the Oxford 72” console by
Abbyson Living. It was a little wider than I wanted, and it was expensive, but it looked really nice. Then I looked at the dimensions of the side cavity doors—17.5” x 17.5”. If the doors are that size, the cavities are smaller—too narrow to hold the typical 17” wide (or so) AV component.

My hopes were dashed… Then I thought to myself, “I can build something like this with wider side cavities…” I had received a Kreg pocket hole jig for Christmas, and I wanted to try my hand at building doors and drawers, something I’d never done before. Five months of weekends and evenings later, here are the results. I’m happy with it, and my wife loves it, which is the most important thing.

The overall dimensions are 68.5” wide by 24.5” high by 21” deep. The side shelves are 19” wide x 17.75” deep, and the center shelf is 27” wide by 15.25” deep. (I sacrificed some depth for the center cavity so I could recess the back to accommodate a power strip. I also shortened the drawers front-to-back to accommodate a brick-style surge suppressor (the kind with two rows of outlets).

The finish is Zar Moorish Teak stain over Trans Tink dark walnut dye, topcoated with satin Arm-R-Seal wiping varnish.

The color of the console in these photos is pretty poor. The finish looks a bit milk chocolate here, but it’s really a very dark Java finish.

For more details, see the project page at my web site.

-- Ron Stewart





4 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112335 posts in 2267 days


#1 posted 02-20-2012 10:19 PM

Very good entertainment center good design.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View Martyroc's profile

Martyroc

2708 posts in 996 days


#2 posted 02-20-2012 10:40 PM

That came out beautiful, nice clean edges and bold color, I really like it

-- Martin ....always count the number of fingers you have before, and after using the saw.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

14129 posts in 2281 days


#3 posted 02-21-2012 12:17 PM

Elegant design & finish.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View Michigander's profile

Michigander

146 posts in 1109 days


#4 posted 04-27-2012 01:49 PM

Nice job Ron, and thanks for taking the time to show the plans and the 3D model is awesome! I am planning a console project and this gave me some great ideas.
Thank You,
John

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase