|Project by Bagtown||posted 02-20-2012 03:46 AM||2022 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
A project for my wife.
This is made from recycled wood from a few different places. Mostly pine from the Subway restaurant that closed down next door to our cafe. They would deliver their six foot subs on a six foot long piece of 1”x6” pine. The top frame is pine trim rescued from a bathroom renovation at a customers house a couple of years ago. The walnut curved pieces were from a friends great grandmothers dining table leaf. The table had been sold years before but they never gave the purchaser the leaf to expand the table. It was in the barn for years. I put the walnut pieces in because when the pine base was first glued up, it seemed rather flimsy and weak to me, the walnut glued up in two curves like this made a huge difference in how strong it felt.
On the top of the frame is the expensive part of this project, some carpet tack. I paid 80 cents for two pieces of this. The burlap is stretched over the short (sharp!) tacks so that she can work without worrying about holding the material taut. She has thick triple layers of polar fleece she lays on top of the tacks to protect her from getting cut by the exposed tacks. I only cut myself a few times attaching these….
I used a finish nail gun to attach the base to the uprights. I don’t use the nail guns nearly enough and typically, I blew a couple of nails out the sides… So, that’s why you see the kokopelli band scrollsawn from pine, and glued on to one end, and the mouse peeking at the corner of the other end scrollsawn from spalted birch. Just cover ups to mistakes but wife likes them much better on there than not.
Finished with a couple of coats of poly.
Last two pictures are of a rug wife made last week on this frame for our first grandchild born 3 weeks ago. Also our pug Sascha had to get in the pictures. She’s very good at pulling these hooked rugs apart as well.
Thanks for looking,
-- Mike - In Fort McMurray Alberta