|Project by lrob||posted 02-19-2012 12:28 AM||1449 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
This was a day project for my wife to display her small antique cabinets on. I used air dried rough pine lumber for the project. I used a water base barnboard stain for the finish. When the boards dry they are light barnboard gray. If you don’t put anything over the wood it will darked quit nicely.
I cut all the part to rough lenghs so I could square everthing up later. I edged the top and leg boards before gluiing. I use 2 biscuits in each leg and 3 biscuits for the top. After the glue had set I planed the bottom of the top and edged the top of the strechers to make everything fit flat. I cut the end of the strechers at 15 degees to give them are more finished look. I drilled the stechers about 5/8” deep with a 1/2” forsner bit so I could screw the strecher to the legs and hide them with a plug. I cut the plugs out of some of the rough lumber scraps. Then trimed them off on the band saw. I cut out the notches for the strechers in the legs for extra support on the top. After screwing the strechers to the legs with 1 5/8” sheetrock screws, I glued the plugs in the holes so they were flush and the grain line up. The top was secured through blind pocket holes though the strechers with 2 1/2” sheetrock screws. I didn’t plug those as they are on the bottom of the strechers. The dark spots on the top in the picture is the stain that hadn’t dried yet.
BOM: 1- Top 1”x 12”x 36” 2- Legs 1” x 9” x 16 1/2” 7- #10 biscuits 2- strechers 1” x 2 3/4” x 32” 8 – 1./2” X 5/8” wood plugs 8 – sheetrock screws 1 5/8” 6 – sheetrock screws 2 1/2”
Time to complete -
-- Remember the one with the most toys when he dies WINS!