|Project by unisaw2||posted 02-17-2012 05:41 PM||4990 views||7 times favorited||23 comments|
Cabinet is 14 ½” wide x 24” tall x 5” deep
Wood is mostly Cherry with a walnut back. This is from rough wood left over from other projects . Work was done with a combination of machine and hand tools. I built this cabinet to learn some new woodworking skills.
I wish I could say that I designed this cabinet, but it is a Garrett Hack design. (Fine Woodworking vol.201 Feb 2010). I actually ordered the plan from FWW for $12.95. Plan comes as nice PDF & sketchup files. I don’t normally order plans, but I am learning sketch up, and I am glad I did. The sketchup plan is fun, but the pdf is very complete and easier to build from. I took a woodworking class with Garrett many years ago and learned a lot in the week I was with him.
So the project breaks down into the Good, Bad and the Ugly.
I learned several new skills including: a shop made scratch stock for the cornice and back; making and cutting banding; turning really small knobs, and learning the sketchup software.
The door panel was resawn on the bandsaw and bookmatched. The execution was great, the wood grain could be more interesting.
Finish is 2 coats of bullseye sealcoat shellac, tung oil and wax. I am really pleased with how this finish turns out on Cherry. No blotching, and not shiny.
I got a little carried away with planing the raised door panel. It ended up too skinny for the groove it is supposed to fit into. (so it is hot melt glued from the inside to tighten it up)
The machine marks and pencil lines show up during finishing. Going to have to spend more time sanding.
Still to many gaps, and pieces that don’t fit perfectly.
Not square front to back, not sure how this happened, found out after glue was set.
Small (9/16” diameter) wenge knob disintegrated in the lathe. Grain was orientated the wrong way.
Shellac and tung oil finish is beautiful, but not a real durable finish.
Probably have 20 hours in this project, over 2 weeks. (need to be faster)
Morticed the hinges on the wrong side, so the door is upside down (how the &^#$ did that happen?)
I used some light and dark Cherry Wood, the light pieces really stick out, and are very UGLY.
Overall, it is a usable piece for a medicine cabinet, I am still learning.
More photos of construction below:
1. Sled for banding. These pieces are crosscut to ¼” then they are ripped into 3 pieces about 3/16” each on the bandsaw. They are then block planed to exactly 1/8” thick.
2. Shop made Scratch stock. I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time. Finding a small 1/8” diameter file and sharpening the blade were the biggest challenge.
3. Cornice clamped for Shop made Scratch stock.
4. Back panel alignment with shop made 1/8” thickness gauge. I make and use these gauges for equipment setup, glue up alignment, hand planning to exact thickness etc. They are made with a thickness planer and calipers.
5. Photo showing Back top out of square, Thankfully when the cabinet is on the wall, this angle will not be seen.
6. Back lower left sliding dovetail. The back had to be pin nailed because panels were reversed.
7. Back cross section sketch up view. I accidentally reversed the groove on the middle panel (of 3) so the back panel had to be pin nailed.
Thanks for looking
-- JJ - Northern Illinois