|Project by gfadvm||posted 02-16-2012 09:49 PM||2306 views||6 times favorited||27 comments|
I found this piece of burled red oak when I was burning flooring scraps in the wood stove and had to make something out of it. This was the only piece of burl I found and it wasn’t big enough for the whole top. The hinges are cherry and have been sitting in the shop waiting for a project so they got pressed into service. I had never attached wooden hinges this way but I liked it. Lastly, I decided to try another lacquer finish (my last attempt was a disaster). Greg talked me through this one. It has 5 coats of rattle can lacquer but I can’t decide whether to ‘knock’ the shine down with some oooo steel wool or not. My wife likes it as is. I think it’s awfully shiney. Oh yeah, the splines are black walnut.
-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm