|Project by HorizontalMike||posted 02-15-2012 01:02 AM||4620 views||11 times favorited||34 comments|
Here is my official first piece of scratch built furniture, if you do not count my woodworking workbench. I pretty much followed the article I found in Issue #21 Feb 1988 of WOOD Magazine pp.66-71, though I strayed online and looked at the 2003 version in issue 149. I based the top and base on that newer version but held to the older mission style joinery shown in issue #21 for the main bookcase carcase.
I built it using White Ash and I used a Minwax Golden Oak Stain for color. I sure learned much from undertaking this project, the first of which was that this thing has/had nearly 120 parts each of which needed to be precisely milled, cut and sized, each including one or several of the following features: dadoes, rabbits, dowels, mortise & tenons, panel inserts, pre-finishing and then re-finishing, etc. I sure gained much appreciation for the woodworking profession even though my efforts in this area are just another hobby.
When beginning my staining of the the bookcase, I started with the front window frames and immediately noticed some serious blotching that just shows up as if someone had taken solid paint and marked randomly over the wood. While I had purchased an oil-based pre-stain wood conditioner, I had forgotten to apply it before staining. Panic set in pretty quick, but thanks to fellow LumberJocks I was able to get some much needed professional finishing advice from Charles Neil and Rick Dennington. That advice was to strip/wash the frames with either mineral spirits or naphtha, however naphtha was the preferred method for fast drying and lack of oils. Lacking the naphtha, I looked around and found I still had most of a quart of acetone. A quick check on the Internet and I was in business (acetone is fastest drying and a very good solvent). After stripping the three window frames, I commenced sanding with 220grit on my 1/4 sheet palm sander. It took awhile, but I eventually started to see the blotchy areas disappear.
Below shows the blotchy areas before correction:
Had a hard time matching stains on ply vs cut wood as the image below shows the variations.
The End Panel inserts are book-matched and re-sawn from a single piece of of White Ash I selected just for its figure and detail.
I found a really neat application for Space Balls. When routing out the channels for the window sliders, I made the decision to use a 1/4” metal rod instead of 3/8” dowels that the plans called for. That meant that I had to recalculate just how far to route near the front edge. I found that I had routed a bit far, but one Space Ball would neatly fit the 1/4” channel and stay in place. This now served as a “bumper” for the closing windows and helped to dampen any rattles that would come from the glass panes. Works like a charm and I highly recommend it. You will also notice that all of my panel inserts had to be pre-finished prior to the glue up of the larger panels. This helps to eliminate having any missing “stain lines” from when the panels shrink/swell with the changing humidity.
I also discovered that my horizontal mortiser serves very well in doing long dadoes or rabbits of around 34in or so.
More images and information on my website
-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."