|Project by Sanman||posted 02-12-2012 03:52 AM||1091 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
The driftwood is the color stain used. I finished with a wipe on poly. Thought I was getting good at this palm box concept. I still use the dollar bill as my base size and build the box around it based on the thickness of the pieces. I don’t have a planer so what ever the size of the wood coming off the pallets is the size I have to use. My error is visible in the second shot. I wanted the grain patterns to flow in the same directions. I turned the side panel on the right 90 degrees from where I wanted it. Didn’t notice until after the glue up.
I sanded the inside pieces to a smooth 220 using a Rockwell sander. It was a lot of fun watching the grain pop out of the old weathered wood. The lid is pinned on each side with an inch long 1/8” brass rod. I sanded the back edge of the lid enough this time to prevent the sides from splitting on me. Picked up a used belt sander for 20 bucks and clamped it upside down in my vice to complete the outside sanding.
-- I'll get it done when I get a-round-tuit.