|Project by Philip||posted 02-10-2012 09:30 PM||955 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
This mailbox was made for the Athletics Department where I work. They could not find a mailbox to match their new studio furniture, so someone (who will remain unnamed…) volunteered my services.
Made from birch plywood, this project was a small nightmare. Me and a co-worker put this together and finished it. We pretty much did everything wrong with the finish (I put the finish in a paint shaker) whoops. We put the stain on and probably raised the grain and didn’t let it dry enough before we put the first coat of finish on. The finish was some spar-urethane that was left over from some other project. The urethane adds a warm color to it but it didn’t dry well or go on even at all.
We faced the plywood with veneers from the same plywood- a trick I got from a Kreg email. I would not suggest it though, as the sides of the veneer would not take the stain properly and it was a nightmare to try and get even thickness veneers from plywood.
Good times though…
-- If you can dream it, I can do it!