|Project by Deaser||posted 02-10-2012 06:15 PM||1152 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
I needed a mallet to use for beating on chisels, so I turned this carver’s mallet out of some 4/4 cherry offcuts I had laying around. The finish is danish oil. This was my first turning project in over 15 years, and my first project on the lathe shown in the picture, which I bought with my house for a mere $75 about 7 years ago! I think the former homeowner just didn’t want to move it! It’s not pretty, but as you can see, it gets the job done.
Once I got the shape I wanted, I was in such a hurry to trim the ends on my new bandsaw that I forgot to sand it on the lathe! I could’ve chucked it up, sanded it, and trimmed the ends again, but it is small enough that I decided to hand sand it. Lesson learned.
That’s my dog, Kip, making his Lumberjocks debut by posing during the glue-up. This project was a lot of fun and I hope to do more turning in the future!
-- Steve, Pennsylvania