|Project by cloakie1||posted 02-10-2012 09:18 AM||1298 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
on the recent birth of our son i decided to build a heirloom set that could be passed on to the next generation.
both are made from marcocarpa and stained with mirotone ngr antique rimu and then finished with lacquer.
the stiles are both made from the same pattern but the cot has solid panels curved to match the shape of the stile. this was done by making a jig for the spindle moulder and shaping the individual boards before laminating them together.i cleaned them up on a stroke sander then orbital to take out the cross grain sanding and finally handsanding with a block.another jig was used to route in the grove to take the panels.the roll on the top was done by laminating four pieces together to give stability then a grove was routed in while it was still square.then a tight fitting strip of timber was inserted in the groove before doing the final shaping on the spindle. spigets were turned on to the ends for locating into the stile.
both units are designed to come apart for flat packing and storage and all held together with furniture bolts and barrel nuts. since i had a lot of trouble finding some suitable hardware i made my own,using alumium and a few bushings i borrowed from work.all parts are powdercoated and the catch system is a homemade version of a door catch…simple but it works.
best thing of all is that baby seems to like his new bed.
-- just get stuck in and have a go!!!