|Project by stanleyfatmax||posted 02-08-2012 03:12 AM||1167 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
This is a desk I made last year of solid cherry, it’s my second big project. The rails have interlocking through tenons, which involved a couple screw-ups and took way more time than they should have. I cut all the joinery before deciding to add a drawer, so when I wanted the grain to match I thought I would just take out the drawer front with a small drill bit and a jigsaw. Once that was irrevocably screwed up and I had re-made the front skirt board (with drawer front removed by ripping off narrow strips and gluing it back up) and re-cut the tenons, I built the drawer front into a box and cut grooves for the drawer bottom. And after all that work just to match the drawer front grain I realized that I built the drawer box upside down and couldn’t just switch it because I had already cut grooves for the drawer bottom and glued up. After the initial bout of swearing though, I realized I enjoy the story more than having the grain match.