|Project by CartersWhittling||posted 02-03-2012 11:52 PM||2103 views||7 times favorited||16 comments|
This is a brace I got during the summer. I bought it from an antique store for probably $3. Like most braces, this one was covered in some dirt, rust, and grime. It wasn’t until recently that I finally cleaned the brace up. I first used a wire wheel to clean most of the rust and dirt off, then I soaked the head of the brace in CLR and scrubbed it all clean. Then I used thin strips of sand paper to polish the brace crank.
I decided to replace the handles which weren’t in bad shape, they were just grimy and painted black. So I picked a piece of straight grained walnut for the handle. I drilled a 3/8” hole through it (the diameter of the crank) and used jam chucks to turn it on the lathe. After the handle was turned I split the handle in half with a knife and glued it back together around the brace. Because the walnut was straight grained it split nicely and glued back together seamless.
Then I got a blank for the front knob and drilled the hole for the quill to go in. I then cut the blank round and mounted it on the lathe with the quill in place. Then I turned the knob and used metal files to turn the quill nicely aswell.
The chuck was not originally all nice and shiny, it had some really ugly texture ingraved in it. Since that wasn’t acceptable I used jam chucks to turn the chuck on the lathe with metal files and sandpaper. Then all I had left to do was apply the linseed oil to the handles.
-- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord... Colossians 3:23 http://carterswhittling.wordpress.com/