|Project by PKFF||posted 02-02-2012 07:36 PM||10158 views||4 times favorited||17 comments|
My Dad and I started Playing Craps about 10 years ago, when I turned 18 and going to Casinos on Indian Reservations. When I turned 19, I started going to Windsor, Canada and my love for that game took off. I purchased a cheap Craps Layout and a chip set and made a 2×8 square table. Enough was enough. With the Superbowl party fast approaching my Dad asked me to make a new table for the party, for entertainment purposes. To his suprise, I took that as a chance to create a new project. Knowing what a typical craps table looked like and the construction is (every woodworker knows they inspect and take notice the finer details of every bit of woodworking around them) I put it to paper.
Now, I don’t have the space for a 14ft table (nor does my wife think it would be appropriate) or do I have the amount of friends who can play to make that practical, but I wanted something that I can use for a long time. I also needed it portable and storable.
It is completely made of plywood. Between 11/16 Birch, 3/4 AB pine, and 1/4 birch, the design was to keep it under $200 but functional and attractive, and I was successful with the price.
It is designed to be broken down and then reassembled when and where needed…
The first challenge of this project was to make the corners round. Not in any casino can you find a square craps table. So to do that, I made what everyone has seen before, a circle cutting jig for my 14” portercable bandsaw. 52 curved sections.
This jig did a fantastic job and will be put to use in the future; I don’t know why it wasn’t apart of my shop prior.
The next challenge was to make the rails. Every player’s position deserves a spot to keep their chips. So I used my 1-5/8” core box Bit I purchased specifically for Casion Chip trays to make a single groove (single due to size constraints).
After setting it up on my router table, making a curved Jig/template for the curved parts, and 13 passes per rail, they came out exactly the way I imagined. I like the cut into the Birch plywood, it gave it a nice pinstriped look..
After a lot of sanding, a few coats of stain, 3 coats of Poly gloss, a little help from Mother Nature giving us two 60 degree and breezy Janurary days in Michigan to help with the curing of the Poly, this turned out to be a solid 2 week project just in time for the Big party.
While I am happy with this project and how it turned out, there were somethings I wish I did differently (as with EVERY project). I would allot a little more budget for some more attractive hardware (I.e. the wingnuts aren’t exactly attractive, but work for now) and I would not sand the Birch rails as much. While they turned out the way I was hoping, rustic and worn, not brand new and contemporary, I learned that it doesn’t take much with the 120grit to get through those thin layers of plywood it has.
I hope you enjoyed the photos!
-- "If you put your best effort forward today, you won't have to re-do it tomorrow"