|Project by Philip||posted 02-01-2012 06:55 AM||1080 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
I actually made this rocker before I made the Haig rocking chair but didn’t want to post it until I stained it and finished it…so you know how that goes…still one coat to go!
Made from reclaimed oak bed frames (these renovations and broken beds have made me quite happy) The back slats are mortise and tenon but everything else is doweled/screwed. Once again, many lessons learned- cutting gauges are more accurate than my pin marking gauge. I will probably file the pin to a knife point or make a better one- plenty of nice looking ones on this site. Plan for squeeze out, prevent it, or clean it up when it’s wet! I really paid the price on this one filing and sanding and sanding some more.
I must have hit the jackpot when I cut the double bevel on this project. The “d” stands for Daniel and is a copy of a decal that was printed on his birth announcement. Somehow they both fit relatively well and I used them both- one on the front and one on the back. This is why I was confused with my previous post not being able to use both pieces and one being too tight, the other too loose. The front was cut on a large piece that was glued to the rest of the headrest, the back was a circle cut out and then inlaid into the back of the headrest (that one didn’t go so well-hence no close up).
I am really happy with the way it turned out, and I’m glad I tried this chair before the Haig rocker and my future Maloof chair- which is still in rough lumber stages.
-- If you can dream it, I can do it!