|Project by bvdon||posted 01-29-2012 11:45 PM||8651 views||54 times favorited||31 comments|
Here is a homemade 20” Drum Sander. I mounted it on top of a cabinet so it is at a comfortable height and it also allowed for two large drawers so the footprint in the shop would not be wasted space when the drum sander is not in use.
It runs very smooth and does what it’s supposed to. Today I used the dust hood for the first time and it was really efficient—glad I did that because without it I had to wear both a dust mask and a cloth tied around my face because there was so much dust kicked up (I wheel it outside when I use it).
The most difficult part of the project was making the drum. It’s really not hard but it is tedious and messy. See WoodGears.ca for info on doing that. I used my own design but borrowed ideas from others.
Total cost with everything was about $400… all American Made parts!
- 20” drum
- 3/4” heavy duty pillow block bearings and stainless steel axel.
- Baldor CL3510 1-HP electric induction motor 1800 RPM (purchased used)
- V-BELT PULLEY, BROWNING #AK64X3/4, 6 1/4”X 3/4” BORE
- V-BELT PULLEY, #BK30X5/8, SINGLE GROOVE, 5/8” BORE
I use “3M Stickit Gold 2-3/4” Sand Paper Sheet Roll” (100 grit works well). The rolls are a bit pricey but they last a long while since it’s about 75 feet of paper. Using the circumference of the drum, I cut a diagonal line from left to right at that length to wrap the sand paper on the drum.
My primary reason for needing a drum sander was to flatten/thicken guitar body and headstock tops. I will post more on that later ;) I have also found it to be the best method for thickness sanding end grain cutting boards – far better than previous methods (see my prev projects).
Here’s a video showing the early stages of the build: