|Project by JAcker||posted 01-29-2012 03:45 AM||2126 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
My wife showed me a kinds catalog with a set of “woodland fairy furniture” for $80. I snorted, muttered “I could make that”, rolled over and went to sleep. A few days later my wife asked me if I could make a dozen little chairs – like the ones in the catalog – for a art project at my daughter’s birthday party.
At the time I had no shop – my workspace had been damaged (same tree I keep on mentioning), just a very poor quality band saw from the orange store. The first prototype was made from four disks – a back, a seat, and then two disks to form legs. This looked neat but was difficult to glue up and even worse to level. I considered a 2 piece design (back and base), but it did not look good at all. The final design is a back and seat (cut from the same diameter branch/log) and a base cut from a narrower branch. The first 2 pictures show the table and chair set I made for my daughter as a birthday present (her woodland fairy dolls really needed someplace to have a tea party with Barbie). Everything is glued and also pinned (cut off nails). I finished this with several coats of spray polyurethane after sanding down to 400 grit.
The third and fourth pictures show my “production run” for the party. Minimal sanding and no finish. The girls decorated these with stickers. glitter, and various other “fairy” stuff.