|Project by DHaden||posted 01-26-2012 08:31 AM||1765 views||7 times favorited||11 comments|
Made this the other night. The box is made from oak, the lid is from a scrap of walnut. I found a log about three years ago. The log has been in the basement “drying”. I cut a section about six inches long and then took a hatchet to it to get the rough shape for the box. Ran that through the joiner to get down to final dimension. I do not have a drill press yet so, boring the out center was an adventure in the vise with a 3/4 forstner bit and A LOT of chisel work. I got to use my brand new dovetail bit that was an anniversery present to myself from a trip to the mothership (Parkersburg Woodcraft). Still learning how to measure the lid to fit. Lots of trial and alot of error. The first lid was abit loose, the one you see is nice and snug.
-- Measure once, cut twice.